COLUMBUS, Ohio — Arike Ogunbowale hit the shot of her life – again.

Ogunbowale floated in a 3-pointer from the corner with 0.1 seconds left, lifting Notre Dame to its second women’s basketball title with a thrilling 61-58 comeback victory against Mississippi State in the NCAA championship game Sunday night.

It was the second straight game that the junior guard hit a shot in the final second to carry the Irish. Her jumper with one second remaining in overtime knocked off previously unbeaten UConn in the semifinals Friday.

With this game tied, Ogunbowale took the inbounds pass from Jackie Young, dribbled twice toward the corner and, closely guarded, lofted home an off-balance 3 in front of the Notre Dame bench. It was close to the same spot on the court where she took down the Huskies.

“It just felt right,” said Ogunbowale, who scored 16 of her 18 points in the second half. “I practice late-game all the time. I just ran to Jackie and said, ‘Throw it to me, throw it to me.’ ”

Ogunbowale was named the most outstanding player for the tournament.

All the Irish players could celebrate after pulling off the biggest comeback in title-game history. They rallied from a 15-point deficit in the third quarter and were down five in the final 1:58. Marina Mabrey hit a 3-pointer from the wing and Young tied it on a shot in the lane.

The title came 17 years to the day after Notre Dame’s only other championship in 2001 on Easter.

“It’s Easter Sunday and all the Catholics were praying for us,” said Coach Muffet McGraw, who was wearing floral shoes in honor of the holiday.

When the final buzzer sounded, a wild celebration started with the Irish faithful who were part of the sellout crowd. McGraw’s team had fallen short four times in seven years in the title game, losing in 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015. Many of the alums who were on teams that fell just short of winning a title were there to enjoy it, including Natalie Achonwa, Natalie Novosel and Becca Bruszewki

This McGraw squad refused to lose, and the run was even more improbable because the Irish lost four players over the season to ACL injuries.

Tied as the clock ran down, Teaira McCowan of Mississippi State missed a layup with 27.8 seconds left, and both teams turned the ball over. McCowan then fouled out, stopping an Irish fast break, setting up the last three seconds.

After Ogunbowale’s shot, the officials put one-tenth of a second on the clock. A couple of Mississippi State players already had headed for the locker room while Notre Dame players celebrated.

The court was cleared and Mississippi State tossed a futile inbounds pass into the lane as the buzzer sounded.

For the fourth straight NCAA game, the Irish found themselves trailing at the half. They were down 40-25 early in the third quarter before finally getting on track. The Irish closed the period with a 16-1 run to make it 41-41.

The Irish (35-3) were Mississippi State’s foul trouble. All five starters had three fouls in the third quarter.

It didn’t look good for the Irish in the first half. They had just three points in the second quarter, setting an NCAA tournament record for the fewest in a period, five less than the previous mark set by Syracuse in 2016 against UConn.

It didn’t matter in the end.

“This team is relentlessly driven,” said Jess Shepard, who scored 19 points to lead the Irish. “We’ve been down multiple times this year but nobody stops us.”

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.