AUGUSTA — A Windsor woman was arrested Tuesday evening after she allegedly drove more than 30 mph over the speed limit while intoxicated, then was stopped by police after her boyfriend reported the erratic driving.

Harley Rae Graziano, 23, also allegedly tried to resist arrest after police stopped the truck she had driven from Windsor to Augusta, according to court documents. Late Wednesday afternoon, she was still being held at Kennebec County jail in lieu of $500 cash bail.

The truck belonged to Graziano’s boyfriend, who was in the vehicle when police stopped her on Route 105, near the intersection with Church Hill Road.

She had allegedly taken the truck without her boyfriend’s permission after the couple got into an argument, according to an affidavit written by Michael Sayers of the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office.

But the boyfriend managed to get in the truck as Graziano was driving away, and he called 911 to report that “Harley was driving 100 MPH everywhere she was going and he was scared,” Sayers said.

After receiving the boyfriend’s call, members of the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office stopped Graziano around 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday night. Using a radar unit, they determined that she allegedly was driving 77 mph in a 45 mph zone on Route 105.

After they stopped her, they administered tests of her balance and coordination that showed strong indications she was intoxicated, according to Sayers. Graziano denied drinking any alcohol on Tuesday, but said she had a few drinks on Monday, Sayers said

When police announced that they were arresting Graziano, she began screaming at her boyfriend and resisting arrest, Sayers wrote.

“I attempted to turn Harley around and Harley struck me in the left shoulder area with her right arm,” Sayers wrote in the affidavit. “I then grabbed Harley’s arm. Harley continued to resist.” Later, Sayers continued, “I told Harley she could stand up and walk to the police vehicle. Harley was refusing to speak with me. Harley was pretending to be passed out.”

The boyfriend then told police that “every time Harley gets arrested she pretends to pass out so she goes to the hospital instead of jail,” Sayers said.

Police eventually brought Harley to the Augusta Police Department, where she refused to take a breath test, then to MaineGeneral Medical Center, where she was medically cleared to be taken to Kennebec County jail, according to Sayer.

They charged her with operating under the influence and refusing to submit to arrest or detention, both Class D misdemeanors, and driving to endanger and motor vehicle speeding (more than 30 mph over the speed limit), both Class E misdemeanors.

Charles Eichacker — 621-5642

[email protected]

Twitter: @ceichacker

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: