Wild or poison parsnip.

ESSEX, Vt. — A woman was left with severe burns and blisters on her legs after encountering an invasive species of plant in Vermont.

The plant, also known as wild parsnip, is found in every state in New England.

Charlotte Murphy says she developed painful blisters overnight after brushing against poison parsnip. Murphy says the blisters got so bad she had to go to the hospital to see a burn specialist.

The Essex woman learned her injuries were comparable to second-degree burns and were caused by the invasive plant.

According to the N.Y. Department of Environmental Conservation, the leaves of the plant look like celery leaves and it has small yellow flowers that resemble Queen Anne’s lace.

David Grass of the Vermont Department of Health says the sap in the parsnip has a chemical reaction with the sun that causes accelerated burns. He says people should wear long pants and sleeves while in tall grass.

Murphy says she hopes her experience helps educate people.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.