CONCORD, N.H. – Officials in New Hampshire say they have seen a spike in traffic deaths ahead of the holiday season.

WMUR-TV reports the Office of Highway Safety says there have been 142 traffic deaths so far this year, compared to 102 deaths in 2017. The office also reported a 38 percent increase in the number of crashes.

Highway Safety Commander Capt. William Haynes says there have been seven traffic fatalities over the past week, including a fatal crash at a Dover toll plaza that killed a 39-year-old man.

He says the majority of fatalities have involved drugs or alcohol.

Haynes is urging drivers to stay safe on the roads and give extra time to get to a destination.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under:

Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.