WEST GARDINER — Fire damaged a bedroom and closet Monday morning in a home at 27 Neck Road, just 11 hours after firefighters were called to deal with a chimney fire at the same location.

West Gardiner Fire Chief Gary Hickey said his department received a call about a chimney fire at 8:24 p.m. Sunday. Flames were visible from the top of the chimney, but the firefighters were able to contain the fire to the chimney and left the scene Sunday night.

At 9:27 a.m., firefighters were sent back because of a related structure fire that had reignited and spread into a second-floor closet and bedroom. Hickey said that room and the room below it on the first floor sustained heavy fire and smoke damage.

“It was basically contained to one room,” he said.

Crews from Gardiner, Farmingdale, Pittston, Litchfield and Manchester responded to provide mutual aid Sunday night.

Hickey said the second fire was caused by a “weak spot” in the chimney. He said the chimney, which is shared by two fireplaces in the home, was built more than 200 years ago. The chimney was unlined and had a large build-up of creosote.

Advertisement

No one was injured during the blaze. Hickey said the homeowner was inside at the time, but a smoke detector alerted him to the fire.

Sam Shepherd — 621-5666

[email protected]

Twitter: @SamShepME


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: