The federal court system says it has found enough money to continue operations in the district of Maine for an additional week during the partial government shutdown.

A statement posted online Wednesday says there is enough money to continue operations through Jan. 25. Funding was originally projected to run out this Friday, Jan. 18.

Chief Judge Jon Levy said last week that trials, hearings and new cases will continue to be heard even if money runs out because the administration of justice is considered essential.

He said court officials are sorting out which workers are doing essential tasks related to the administration of justice and which ones will be furloughed if the shutdown isn’t resolved.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.