NORRIDGEWOCK — A fire that destroyed a mobile home Wednesday on Mercer Road originated in the wall around the front door and was the result of a malfunction in the electrical system, according to the Office of State Fire Marshal.

Skowhegan Fire Chief Shawn Howard inspects the scene of the fire that firefighters from Norridgewock and Skowhegan put out Wednesday on U.S. Route 2 in Norridgewock. The state fire marshal’s office has determined that a malfunction in the electrical system started the fire that destroyed the mobile home. Morning Sentinel file photo by David Leaming

Sgt. Ken Grimes, of the fire marshal’s office, said Friday the homeowners, Tracy Moody and her boyfriend, Scott Jones, had experienced problems with power loss in that area of their home before the fire.

He said the mobile home was destroyed.

On Wednesday, Moody said she returned home from work and found the house she shares with Jones and their 4-year-old son, Wyatt, was burned.

Their dog, Cain, died in the fire; and she said it’s likely their cat, Jack, also died, though they are hoping he might have escaped and is just missing.

“I’m still kind of in shock,” Moody said Friday. “Sometimes it seems very real, and sometimes it doesn’t feel like it happened at all.”

The family didn’t have insurance. They are staying with Jones’ parents, though they plan to move soon into a vacant house Moody’s mother has.

Firefighters pull burned siding off a smoking mobile home that was destroyed by fire Wednesday on U.S. Route 2 in Norridgewock. The state fire marshal’s office has determined that a malfunction in the mobile home’s electrical system started the fire. Morning Sentinel file photo by David Leaming

She said they hope to save enough money to rebuild on their property on Mercer Road, which also is U.S. Route 2.

In the meantime, Moody said, they have been overwhelmed with support, including from Wyatt’s school, Cornville Regional Charter School.

When she took Wyatt to school Thursday, the day after the fire, Moody said, she was surprised to find the school had collected clothes, toys and toiletries for them.

She said her mother also has started a GoFundMe fundraiser for the family.

“As far as Wyatt, we’re trying to keep everything as normal as we can for him,” she said. “He’s been a really big boy about it. I told him it was just a house, and home is where Momma and Dad and he are.”

Rachel Ohm — 612-2368

[email protected]

Twitter: @rachel_ohm

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.