A fire that destroyed a mobile home Monday on Bishop Road in Troy started in an electrical box that apparently overheated and erupted into flames, according to Troy fire Chief Daniel Nealley.

Nealley said Thursday that the homeowner, Mitchell Harvey, his wife, their two teenage children and another adult who lived in the home lost everything in the fire. The home was not insured, he said.

The home at 100 Bishop Road was “two single-wide mobile homes put together with a roof over it,” Nealley said.

He said Harvey’s wife, Shannon, was the only one home when the fire broke out around 1:30 p.m. Monday.

“She heard snapping and popping and went down to the other end of the house and it was all afire,” Nealley said. “She just got the dogs out of the house and it was just an inferno.”

He said the home was on a knoll and the wind was “pretty fierce.” Bishop Road is off Barker Road in Troy.

About 25 firefighters from Troy, Unity, Burnham, Thorndike, Dixmont, Plymouth and Newburgh went to the scene, Nealley said. Neally said he contacted both the American Red Cross and the state fire marshal’s office.

Mitchell Harvey’s parents live next door, and they and the neighbors assisted the displaced fire victims, according to Nealley.

“They’ve got plenty of help,” he said.

Firefighters left the scene just before 5 p.m. Monday, according to Nealley.

“It took us a while because we wanted to put out all the hot spots,” he said.

Amy Calder — 861-9247

[email protected]

Twitter: @AmyCalder17

 


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: