LEWISTON — Andy Moore recorded a hat trick and top-seeded Greely of Cumberland advanced to the Class B South boys’ hockey final with a 10-1 victory Saturday over No. 5 Gorham at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee.

The score got out of hand in the third period, with the Rangers (17-2) tallying seven goals.

“I’m not walking out of here walking on air,” said Greely Coach Barry Mothes, whose team had to kill a pair of 5-on-3 situations in the first two periods with the score still close. “We spent way too much time either killing penalties or a man up. We really weren’t able to get into a nice bang-bang-bang, three-line rhythm the way we like to.”

Greely (17-2) will play No. 2 Cape Elizabeth at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Lewiston. It’ll be a rematch of last year’s regional final, which Greely won, 3-2.

Gorham, which lost for the third time this season to Greely, finishes 11-9.

The tide turned early in the second period. Moore had staked Greely to a 1-0 lead, but the Rangers incurred two penalties in the final minute and faced the prospect of a two-man disadvantage for a minute and 25 seconds after intermission.


However, the Rams were hit with a delay of game infraction before the puck even dropped, making it a 5-on-4 power play instead.

“The time just got away from us,” Gorham senior Nick Gray said. “It didn’t really slow us down. It more so made us a little bit angry.”

A Moore tripping penalty in the opening minute put a third Ranger in the box, but Greely took advantage of a subsequent 4-on-4 situation to spring Jake MacDonald for a breakaway goal.

Later in the period, Gorham enjoyed a 5-on-3 advantage for 1:29 but couldn’t convert.

Sophomore goalie Jared Swisher made 25 saves for Greely. The only goal he allowed came in the final minute of the second period on a long slap shot by Gray that deflected off a Rangers defender and made it 3-1.

“I thought he found a way to collect some pucks when he had a lot of traffic in front of him,” Mothes said. “They were clogging the low slot and he did a great job looking through arms and legs and making pucks stick to him.”


McDonald’s second goal made it 3-0 with 53 seconds left in the second period.

The third period was all Greely. After a little more than a minute, Jackson Williams tucked home the rebound of a shot by Owen O’Connell to make it 4-1. Gorham switched goalies, replacing freshman Caleb Waterman (17 saves) with senior Giuseppe Brown, but the Rangers poured in six goals in the final 7:34.

MacDonald and Williams each scored twice. Lattanzi, Alexander Wallace and Chris Williams also scored.

“We’ve been working hard on our conditioning the last month or so,” Mothes said, “and I think we had more left in the tank in the third.”

Glenn Jordan can be contacted at 791-6425 or:

[email protected]

Twitter: GlennJordanPPH

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.