The Wilton Fire Rescue Department responds Monday morning to a fire the Village View Apartments in Wilton. Sun Journal Photo by Donna M. Perry

WILTON — A 54-year-old woman died early Tuesday after being injured in a fire Monday morning at the Village View Apartments.

Lauralyn Wright died after suffering burns and smoke inhalation, according to Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

McCausland said firefighters resuscitated Wright outside her apartment at 101 Village View St. She was then taken by ambulance to Franklin Memorial Hospital in Farmington, and then to Maine Medical Center in Portland.

McCausland said the fire, reported at about 7:30 a.m., started in Wright’s bedroom and was contained to that area.

Sgt. Joel Davis, an investigator with the state Fire Marshal’s Office, said Wednesday the fire would most likely be found to be the result of smoking materials that were not handled properly.

filed under:

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.