LEWISTON — A local man died Sunday evening after his clothes caught fire while he was smoking a cigarette at his Knox Street apartment.

Victor Lauze, 75, was found just after noon in his second floor apartment at 104 Knox St. after neighbors heard his smoke detector ringing, according to Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety.

He suffered severe burns, McCausland said.

Lauze was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, and then flown to Maine Medical Center, where he died.

The state Fire Marshal’s Office said there was little damage to Lauze’s apartment.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: