The fatal blaze at a Rockport motel Monday morning was likely caused by a cigarette.

Killed in the fire was 53-year-old Kevin Stanley, who had been living at the Schooner Bay Motor Inn on Route 1 for about a month.

Investigators believe the flames were ignited on Stanley’s mattress, and he was a heavy smoker.

His room was destroyed by the fire, and two adjacent rooms were damaged.

The motel had working smoke detectors that alerted other guests to the fire.

Camden police officer Paul Thompson broke down Stanley’s door and dragged him from the smoke- and fire-filled room to a second-floor landing, where Thompson and a motel guest performed CPR, but life-saving efforts were not successful.

The fire was first reported around 3:30 a.m. Monday.

Occupants of the other motel rooms were evacuated and no other injuries were reported.

Firefighters from Rockport, Camden, Rockland, Hope, Lincolnville and Warren responded to the fire.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under:

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.