The Sappi Somerset Mill in Skowhegan on Sept. 26, 2018. Morning Sentinel file photo

SKOWHEGAN — Overheating machinery is thought to be the cause of a minor fire at Sappi’s Somerset Mill on Waterville Road.

Firefighter Joe Almand of the Skowhegan Fire Department said that crews responded Tuesday night as a precautionary measure when a bearing overheated at the mill, causing concern. By the time the fire department got there, Almand said that the situation was mostly under control.

“Last night there was a fire at the Sappi Somerset Mill that was localized and extinguished,” Olga Karagiannis, corporate communications manager at Sappi North America, said in an email. “No injuries were reported. We thank Sappi’s Security team, Emergency Response Team members and the Skowhegan Fire Department for responding quickly.”


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under:

Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.