A Benton man led officers on a lengthy chase late Monday into Tuesday morning across the Waterville area, reaching speeds of 60 mph on local roads and more than 100 mph on Interstate 95, according to police.

Harold Emery

Harold Emery, 29, was arrested at 12:28 a.m. Tuesday on charges of operating after suspension, criminal speeding, driving to endanger, eluding an officer, passing a roadblock, failure to stop and violating conditions of release, according to Chief Joseph Massey of the Waterville Police Department.

“They went a total of 21 miles,” Massey said. “That was a pretty long chase.”

At 11:15 p.m. Monday, officers saw Emery’s 2015 Subaru sedan leaving The Concourse parking area in downtown Waterville, and noticed a defect with the car and that Emery was driving erratically, according to Massey.

Police stopped the car on Park Street, where it reportedly hit a curb. A passenger jumped out of the car, fell to the ground, got up and took off running, according to Massey. Police had yet to identify the passenger Tuesday.

When officers approached the car, the driver sped off, Massey said. The driver then turned right onto Pleasant Street and went through the blinking stop signal at the intersection.


The Subaru then traveled north onto Main Street and right onto Chaplin Street. As it approached Colby Street, the vehicle made a U-turn and headed back onto Main Street.

The vehicle then headed onto Drummond Avenue, toward Fairfield. After traveling side streets, the car exited onto Western Avenue, before turning onto I-95 southbound and leaving at exit 124 in Waterville.

Emery then turned right and headed into Oakland, turning onto Middle Road and then onto Drummond Road and West River Road, as he headed back into Waterville, according to Massey.

Oakland police set up a spike mat, which Emery’s Subaru hit with all four tires. The vehicle then headed down a dirt road. Emery had fled on foot by the time police located his car, according to Massey.

A Maine State Police tracking dog found Emery hiding in a wooded area. He had suffered cuts to his forehead and leg that did not require medical treatment, Massey said.

Emery was being held Tuesday without bail at the Kennebec County jail in Augusta.

Comments are not available on this story.