Firefighters responded to a fire at 440 Bigelow Hill Road in Skowhegan where a shed had caught fire and was destroyed while a nearby garage was saved. Amy Calder/Morning Sentinel

SKOWHEGAN — A fire deemed accidental destroyed an outbuilding at a home on Bigelow Hill Road Tuesday afternoon, but firefighters were able to save a nearby garage.

“I can’t rule out an electrical cause,” Skowhegan fire Chief Shawn Howard said at the scene.

Firefighters from three towns, including Skowhegan, Norridgewock and Canaan, responded to the fire at the home of Harold Bigelow at 440 Bigelow Hill Road. Howard said about 12 firefighters worked at the scene.

Bigelow reported the fire at 3:24 p.m. Tuesday, according to Howard, who said it was not suspicious in nature.

“We were able to stop it before it got into the nearby garage,” he said, adding that the garage had some exterior damage from the fire.

The outbuilding was a wood structure about 8-by-10-feet in size and had tools inside, Howard said.

Firefighters were able to put the fire out fairly quickly, but they stayed at the scene a while to make sure there were no embers that could reignite, he said.

Bigelow is a longtime member of the School Administrative District 54 Board of Directors.

Officials from the Skowhegan Police Department assisted at the scene.

Comments are not available on this story.