Derek Levasseur is trying to forge a new path in both work and politics.

Levasseur said that he works as a contractor, but has lost business and friends, because of criminal allegations dating back several years.

“People have to trust you to be in their home, and I’ve lost work,” Levasseur said. “I’ve lost friends, and some of those friends have come back around. But it’s just it’s been a hard run.”

Derek Levasseur

Levasseur went to trial and was found not guilty in March this year on domestic violence charges stemming from an incident in Fairfield in December 2019.

Earlier in 2019, Levasseur announced that he was challenging Sen. Susan Collins for her seat and ran as a Republican on a platform of “America First” policies, becoming the first Republican to challenge Collins since 1996. He was dogged at the time by a 2012 conviction of assault, which occurred while he was serving as a reserve officer for the Clinton Police Department.

After a five-month campaign, Levasseur dropped out of the election, citing pressure from “party elites” in the Maine Republican Party, including former Gov. Paul LePage.


Levasseur said that he is considering a return to politics, with a run for Maine House of Representatives District 79, which includes parts of Benton, Albion, China and Unity Township. The seat is currently held by Republican Timothy S. Theriault, of China.

Levasseur said he is considering running as an independent for the seat, because political parties have become so polarized.

“I find myself socially more in the middle, so it’s really hard to really jump on a party and ride with that party when they’re so, so divided,” Levasseur said.

Levasseur’s criminal case began at the end of 2019, when Fairfield Police were called to Levasseur’s home. Levasseur said that he was home with his son and wife at the time, who he has since divorced. He and his now ex-wife were arguing, and as it escalated, both called the police.

The police arrived and spoke with Levasseur and his wife, who was demanding that Levasseur leave the residence. Levasseur said that he did not want to leave because he was concerned for his son. After he refused to leave, the officers arrested Levasseur.

He was charged with two Class D domestic violence assault charges, and one charge of obstructing report of a crime, according to court documents. In December Levasseur’s wife filed for an order of protection from him, and there was a Protection from Abuse hearing to decide that issue. The judge denied the request for an order of protection, and terminated the temporary order of protection.


In January 2020, Levasseur pled not guilty to all charges, and the trial was scheduled for March of that year. But when the COVID-19 pandemic struck, the trial was delayed.

A year after it was originally scheduled, in March 2021, Levasseur had a bench trial — meaning he had no jury, and the case was decided by the judge — and he was found not guilty for all three charges.

“We let the court know that he was waiving jury trial, we were just looking to have a judge hear the case because we knew he was going to win — we just needed to get a trial,” said Kevin Sullivan, Levasseur’s attorney.

At the same time, Levasseur and his wife divorced, and were negotiating custody of their son.

Somerset County District Attorney Maeghan Maloney said the county did see a backlog of cases during the pandemic, but that the county is on track to catch up by the end of September.

“Eliminating the backlog is a priority of my office and this case illustrates the importance,” Maloney said. “Everyone deserves the right to a jury trial, and we need to provide that as expeditiously as possible.”

Comments are not available on this story.