AUGUSTA — Firefighters worked quickly Saturday morning to extinguish a fire that had gotten into the wall of a duplex on Western Avenue in Augusta.

The fire in the upper unit at 98 Western Avenue Place, owned by Caleb Violette, caused damage estimated at $5,000, according to Augusta Battalion Chief Scott Dunbar.

A resident awoke, saw flames on a wall and got out of the building at about 7:20 a.m., according to Dunbar.

Officials said firefighters arrived and were able to extinguish the blaze quickly.

Dunbar said the resident had placed sheets or other materials on the wall heater because she did not think it would be operational in the summer.

Firefighters were at the scene for about an hour.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: