FARMINGTON — A fire destroyed a garage Wednesday at 132 Temple Road and melted some siding on the house nearby, Fire Rescue Chief Terry Bell said Thursday.

The owner, James McEntee, was running his generator in the garage, something he does on a monthly basis, Bell said. He estimated the garage was 24 feet by 24 feet in size.

When McEntee noticed the fire, it was around the generator, he said. The fire was reported at 6:58 p.m.

Twenty-nine firefighters from Farmington, Chesterville, Jay, New Sharon, Strong, Temple and Wilton responded. Firefighters from Strong and New Sharon stood by at the Farmington fire station. NorthStar EMS ambulance and Farmington Police Department also responded to the scene.

There were some bystanders that helped, which was “greatly appreciated,” Bell said.

The garage was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. Water was sprayed on the side of the house to protect the exposure, which was about 20 feet away, he said.

There were no injuries.

It is not a suspicious fire, Bell said. There were no vehicles in the garage but the contents in it were destroyed. There is insurance on the property.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: