OAKLAND — The Messalonskee boys soccer team is off to an uneven start, posting a pair of shutout victories and suffering two tough losses to Class A North contenders.

The latter came under the lights on its home field Tuesday night, when Bangor grabbed a 3-1 victory in a game of big momentum swings from opening kickoff.

“Some days you just have little setbacks,” Messalonskee coach Tom Sheridan said. “It happens. Bangor has a good team up there. We didn’t get all the breaks, but that happens.”

Eli Herzog and Eduardo Trevino scored first-half goals, and the Rams (2-0-0) hung on late to secure the victory.

Danill Lukin scored for the Eagles (2-2-0) late in regulation. Justin Sardano assisted.

“In the beginning of the game, we were doing really well,” Bangor coach Don Erb said. “Then the next 15 minutes they were kind of all over us, and then we got it back. We played well, played hard. We had to match their physicality. We had some good finishes, which was the difference. They had some chances, but ours went in.”

Indeed, the Eagles held an advantage across the stat sheet. They out-shot the Rams 11-6 and had a 3-1 edge in corner kicks.

Bangor senior keeper Trey Bourassa had 10 saves, including a few key ones in the early going.

“It was very important to come out here and play well,” he said. “This is the best we’ve looked all season.We are growing every game, but (Tuesday) we looked good.”

Messalonskee senior Colby Corson, left, chases Bangor junior Xander Tlili (13) during a Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference Class A game Tuesday night in Oakland. Michael G. Seamans/Morning Sentinel

Herzog opened the scoring a little more than five minutes into the game, when he converted a pass from Daemon Maskala. Trevino, a midfielder, made it 2-0 when he scored off a pass from freshman Josh Partel.

“(Bangor) did a great job finishing,” Sheridan said. “They didn’t take many shots, but when they did, they finished.”

Noah Varisco made it 3-0 just 10 minutes into the second half, putting the Rams in command.

“Momentum started to go away there,” Sheridan said.

Lukin gave the Eagles some life when he redirected a shot past Bourassa with 5:35 left in the game, but the Bangor defense held to close it out.

“We just ran out of time,” Sheridan said.

Comments are not available on this story.