CLEVELAND — Odell Beckham Jr. is up for grabs.

The challenging wide receiver, who has battled injuries the past few seasons, was formally waived Monday by the Cleveland Browns and can now be taken by any NFL team at a $7.25 million price tag for the rest of this season.

Beckham essentially forced his exit last week from the Browns, who traded for him 2 1/2 years ago but reached a point where they wanted to get out of the stormy relationship as badly as he did.

The 29-year-old Beckham can be claimed on waivers – the Detroit Lions (0-8) get first crack – but any team that takes him would have to pay the $7.25 million he’s owed for the rest of this season. The Browns and Beckham’s agent agreed to restructure his deal last week by eliminating the two non-guaranteed years that were left.

If Beckham clears waivers by 4 p.m. Tuesday, he’ll be a free agent and can sign with any team. In that case, the Browns will have to pay him $4.25 million for this season, saving them $3 million.

There are only a handful teams with enough current salary-cap space to take on Beckham’s contract this season, so it’s likely he won’t be picked up.

Beckham thought playing in Cleveland gave him his best chance of getting to a Super Bowl, so it’s obvious he’ll want to join a contender. He’s not the playmaker he once was, but he can still stretch a defense.

But there’s much more that comes with Beckham, who remains one of the league’s most popular players despite a dip in productivity. He had just two 100-yard games in 29 with Cleveland.

On Friday, the Browns announced their intention to release him, ending a strange week that began with his father, Odell Beckham Sr., posting a social media video of plays in which Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield didn’t throw the ball to his son.

Mayfield was “surprised” by the public attack but said after Sunday’s win in Cincinnati that he had no hard feelings toward Beckham.

“I wish him well,” Mayfield said. “From a personal standpoint, he’s a good friend of mine. We still haven’t talked, but that doesn’t change things. I wish him the best in his career, but I’m worried about the guys in our locker room.”

SEAHAWKS: Quarterback Russell Wilson was cleared Monday to return to football activities barely a month after undergoing surgery on the middle finger of his throwing hand.

Wilson’s surgeon, Dr. Steve Shin, released a statement through the team saying he had cleared Wilson for a “full return to play without reservation.”

“I have also never encountered a player so committed to his postoperative therapy and with so much conviction to return to the same, if not better, level of performance as he had pre-injury,” Shin said. “I am absolutely amazed at his progress.”

Wilson was hurt in Seattle’s Week 5 loss to the Los Angeles Rams when his hand hit the arm of Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald. Wilson underwent surgery the next day in Los Angeles and has been diligent about his rehab while still being present around the team.

Seattle went 1-2 in Wilson’s absence with Geno Smith as the starting quarterback.

PANTHERS: Quarterback Sam Darnold will be listed as day to day following an MRI on his right throwing shoulder, according to a person familiar with the situation.

There were no other details available on the injury. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team hasn’t released the results of the test.

Darnold originally injured his shoulder in Carolina’s Week 8 win over the Atlanta Falcons. He threw three interceptions in a 24-6 loss to the New England Patriots on Sunday, but Coach Matt Rhule said the quarterback complained of soreness in the shoulder on Monday and was sent to have an MRI.

Rhule initially said he would wait until Wednesday to get a better grasp on Darnold’s injury status before making a determination on who’ll start this Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals. P.J. Walker is the team’s other option at quarterback.

“We will wait to see where Sam is health-wise moving forward,” Rhule said.

Darnold has struggled in recent weeks, throwing 10 interceptions in the past six games, including three picks against the Patriots on three consecutive possessions, one of which was returned 88 yards for a momentum-turning touchdown by J.C. Jackson.

“Right now we are focused on Sam and his health,” Rhule said. “I think Sam would be the first to tell you that wasn’t good enough from the quarterback position (on Sunday). We had guys open with some opportunities that we weren’t able to connect on. We had too many batted balls. And then three giveaways. When you look at our season when we have protected the football we have had a chance to win. … So the play at the position has to be better.”

Rhule also confirmed that center Matt Paradis is done for the season after suffering a torn ACL in his left knee in the team’s second offensive play in Sunday’s game. Along with Paradis, the Panthers announced they have placed left tackle Cameron Erving on injured reserve with a calf injury, although that injury is not considered season-ending.

RAIDERS: Las Vegas waived 2020 first-round pick Damon Arnette and have now cut ties with both first-round picks from that draft before the midpoint of their second season.

General Manager Mike Mayock called it a “painful decision” to release Arnette but said it was necessary in response to a social media post with Arnette brandishing a gun and threatening to kill someone.

“There have been a series of bad decisions over the last year or so, but we can’t stand for the video of Damon with a gun threatening to take a life,” Mayock said. “The content was unacceptable, contrary to our values and our owner Mark Davis has been very clear and very consistent that this is not how we will conduct ourselves in this community. The botttom line, the Raiders will not tolerate this type of behavior.”

Arnette was drafted 19th overall with a pick acquired in the Khalil Mack trade despite what Mayock called “significant concerns” about his character. Arnette was rated lower on most draft rankings but the Raiders believed after talking to his coaches at Ohio State that they could develop him on and off the field.

“Obviously in hindsight, we weren’t able to do it. I know a lot of people, including myself, we were all concerned about this, but at the time we thought it was an acceptable risk. Obviously, it’s painful on all levels.”

The move to cut Arnette comes less than a week after No. 12 overall pick Henry Ruggs III was released following a fatal DUI crash. Authorities said Ruggs was driving 156 mph with a blood-alcohol level twice the legal limit in Nevada. He faces multiple felonies and jail time if convicted.

JETS: Quarterback Zach Wilson is expected to return to practice this week and could start again as soon as Sunday against Buffalo.

Coach Robert Saleh said Wilson would be the team’s starting quarterback when he was fully healthy, ending speculation whether the rookie might have to sit behind backup Mike White even when his knee healed. Wilson has missed two games with a sprained posterior collateral ligament in his right knee.

Saleh said the team will decide by Wednesday who will start the home game against the Bills so the starter can get all of the snaps with the first-team offense during preparations.

49ERS: Right tackle Mike McGlinchey will miss the rest of the season with a torn quadriceps.

The 2018 first-round pick got hurt during Sunday’s loss to the Arizona Cardinals in the latest injury blow for the 49ers (3-5).


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.