WISCASSET — The man arrested early Saturday following a standoff in Whitefield is scheduled to make his initial appearance in court Wednesday.

In the meantime, Edward M. Poch, 64, is being held in Two Bridges Jail in Wiscasset following his arrest on domestic violence criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person stemming from the incidents leading up to the standoff. The domestic violence assault charge, according to court papers, dates back to Nov. 11.

In his statement of probable cause, Lincoln County Sheriff’s Detective Scott Hayden wrote that he was called on Friday evening to the scene of a domestic disturbance on Hunts Meadow Road in Whitefield.

Edward M. Poch Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office photo

From Sgt. Kevin Dennison he learned that Poch and his girlfriend, who had recently moved to Whitefield from Montana, had been been arguing over the previous few days, and that on Friday, Poch reportedly became intoxicated and threatened to stab his girlfriend in the forehead with a hunting knife he was carrying on his hip. He also had a .380 semi-automatic handgun — a pocket-sized pistol — that he cocked and threatened to shoot the woman with, police said.

Hayden said in his affidavit that Poch had not pointed the gun at the woman, but it caused her to be more fearful. When the woman was able to get the knife away from Poch, he wrote, Poch kicked her in the chest and then she fled. The gun remained in the home.

Calls to Poch’s cellphone were not answered, he wrote, and deputies at the scene could see him inside the home drinking alcohol. Poch did not respond to repeated announcements telling him to leave the home.

Hayden said a search of Poch’s criminal history showed a felony drug conviction in 2006 in King County Superior Court in Washington state that prohibits him from having a gun.

According to a news release issued Saturday by the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, Poch was taken into custody around 1:30 a.m. Saturday. He had resisted being taken into custody and was subdued by a Maine State Police police dog.

At that point, law enforcement had been at the home for nearly eight hours, and Hunts Meadow Road was closed to traffic.

Related Headlines

Comments are not available on this story.