A company of Augusta firefighters exit a residence at 114 Leighton Road after extinguishing a blaze inside a second floor apartment. No injuries were reported, fire officials said. The fire at the two-story duplex was reported just before 8 a.m. with emergency crews encountering light smoke emanating from the building upon their arrival a few minutes later. Andy Molloy/Kennebec Journal

AUGUSTA — A fire in a two-family home on Leighton Road Thursday morning resulted in extensive structural damage to the building, particularly to the second floor, and the death of a dog, officials said.

Augusta Fire Department Lieutenant Jason Mills said no people were injured as a result of the 8 a.m. fire, and that officials don’t know if the building at 114 Leighton Road was insured.

Augusta received assistance from fire departments in Gardiner, Vassalboro, Chelsea, Hallowell, Winthrop, and from the Togus Fire Department. Altogether, Mills estimated roughly 30 firefighters were on the scene.

Firefighters were packing up equipment by 9:30 a.m. and Mills said they were back in service at approximately 10 a.m.

Deputy Chief Steve Leach of the Augusta Fire Department said the origin of the fire was believed to be electrical, with smoke damage to the entire second floor and fire damage to a room in the unit.

Mills said that fighting the fire itself was fairly straightforward, and that there were no significant challenges on the scene.

“It was just a good job by our crews that got right in and made a quick knockdown,” he said. “We always appreciate the support we get from our mutual aid towns that come in. They really make it a lot easier for us; … manpower is limited on every department now, so we rely pretty heavily on our mutual aid departments when we have significant fires. I was glad to see them show up in good numbers.”

Comments are not available on this story.