AUGUSTA — City firefighters quickly contained a grease fire at the Texas Roadhouse restaurant Tuesday afternoon even as some flames spread into the building’s roof.

The fire was reported about 12:40 p.m. at the 26 Whitten Road restaurant. The eatery didn’t have any customers inside yet, as it was scheduled to open to the public at 3 p.m.

Augusta Fire Chief Dave Groder said it appeared a grease fire started in the kitchen and spread to the restaurant’s exhaust system, making its way through vents and into the ceiling panels and roof membrane.

All available Augusta fire crews responded, along with a tower truck to fight the fire on the roof. Winthrop and Togus units responded as mutual aid departments as well, while Chelsea covered the Augusta station. No injuries were reported.

Groder said the restaurant would likely need to remain closed for a while to fix damages, including repairing electrical systems and cleaning up water throughout the kitchen.

“There weren’t many people here when we got here,” Groder said, referring to the restaurant workers on scene.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: