Two men and a woman face charges related to an armed home invasion last year in Bingham in which a homeowner was hit with a rifle, knocking out two of his teeth, and a shot was fired, police said.

Following a lengthy investigation led by Deputy Michael Lyman of the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office, two search warrants were executed Feb. 8 in Bingham, and two men were arrested, Somerset County Sheriff Dale Lancaster said Wednesday. A woman was also charged but not arrested.

Tyler C. Couture, 29, of Moscow was arrested Feb. 8, and Christopher R. Corwin, 43, of Bingham was arrested Friday, Feb. 17, Lancaster said. Both were charged with criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, a Class C offense; burglary, Class A; and aggravated assault, Class B.

Tyler Couture

Margaret Corwin, 36, of Bingham was not arrested, but she was charged Friday with the same offenses.

Christopher Corwin appeared before a judge Tuesday and released on unsecured bail. His next court appearance is scheduled for May 24 in Somerset County Unified Criminal Court, according to Lancaster.

Couture remained in custody Wednesday at the Somerset County Jail in East Madison, where his bail is $50,000 cash. He is scheduled to appear May 17 at the same court.


The home invasion occurred just before 9:30 p.m. on May 29, 2022, on Main Street in Bingham, according to Lancaster.

“Upon arrival by law enforcement, it was learned that two alleged male assailants had fled the residence, running north on Main Street, Bingham,” Lancaster said. “It was also initially reported to deputies that someone may have been shot and individuals inside the residence had been assaulted.

“Deputies were also told that the alleged assailants were wearing masks and one of them had a rifle with a flashlight on it.”

Christopher Corwin

Officials learned one of the alleged assailants was armed with a gun, Lancaster said.

“A struggle ensued between the alleged assailants and occupants of the residence, and the 45-year-old homeowner was hit with a rifle, knocking out two of his teeth,” the sheriff said. “The injured male was seen by Upper Kennebec Valley Ambulance personnel but declined to be transported for medical treatment.”

During the struggle, a shot was discharged from another firearm but did not hit anyone, according to Lancaster.

Lyman worked closely with the Somerset County District Attorney’s Office throughout the investigation, Lancaster said.

“Additional charges may be forthcoming after the cases have been reviewed by the Somerset County District Attorney’s Office,” he said.

The Maine State Police also responded to the scene in May, according to Lancaster.

Related Headlines

Comments are not available on this story.