SKOWHEGAN — No one was injured when a home sustained heavy damage in a fire Tuesday morning, according to Skowhegan Fire Chief Ronnie Rodriguez.

Rodriguez said Wednesday the Office of Maine State Fire Marshal has ruled the fire accidental, and found it was caused by electrical malfunctioning.

It broke out just before 10 a.m. at a residence on 33 Butler St., Rodriguez said. The property is a single-family mobile home with an added trailer built on.

The fire was called in by the husband and wife living at the property, which is located near the intersection with Pooler Avenue, just east of Redington-Fairview General Hospital.

“Upon arrival, there was such a large amount of fire that it encroached on the second floor from the first floor, with an obviously visible column of smoke,” Rodriguez said.

Even from afar, Rodriguez said Skowhegan firefighters knew to call for a second alarm, which brought in additional units from Norridgewock, Cornville, Canaan, Fairfield, Waterville and Madison fire departments. Also on scene were EMS from Redington-Fairview and additional support from Canteen 19.


Firefighting efforts were hindered, Rodriguez said, by windy and snowy weather conditions, but also because of many obstacles on the house floor. While the fire was under control by 10:30 a.m., Rodriguez said firefighters were kept on scene for hours doing “overhaul” – searching for hidden fires and embers among the piles of items.

By 1:30 p.m., Rodriguez said he felt confident there was no possibility of rekindling and began sending departments home.

Rodriguez said neither the house or the additional trailer are habitable, and the couple, who escaped unharmed, is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The fire was contained to the structure of origin, he said.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: