SALEM — The Waynflete boys soccer team turned back Mt. Abram in each of the last two Class C South finals.

On Friday night, Roadrunners got some measure of postseason revenge.

Payton Mitchell had a goal and an assist as top-seeded Mt. Abram sank No. 4 Waynflete 3-0 in a C South semifinal game. 

The Roadrunners (16-0-0) will play No. 2 Traip (12-3-1) in the regional final Wednesday night at 6:30 in Lewiston. The four-time defending Class champ Flyers finished 8-6-2.

“It feels amazing,” Mitchell said. “Ever since last year, it was tough to lose (to Waynflete) in the regionals two years in a row. We were looking forward to this game the entire season.”

“It’s a really good feeling,” added senior Morgan Thibodeau, who had an assist. “We’ve battled with those guys the past two or three years now. It feels really good to beat them. Hats off to them, they’re a really good team. At the end of the day, we’ve got a great team, great ability, and an overall great group of players that are really together and playing for the community.”


Mt. Abram (16-0-0) will make its third consecutive trip to the C South final. The Roadrunners are still chasing their first Class C title game appearance.

“I have not, ever, as head coach of Mt. Abram, beaten Waynflete,” said an emotional Darren Allen. “It’s just so sweet. I thank my players. I’ve been here for 17 years, and we’ve never beaten them. It’s just really special.”

Tied 0-0 entering the second half, the Roadrunners scored in the first minute of the second half, when Sam Cockerham got a touch off a Mitchell pass, which slipped by Waynflete goalkeeper Nico Kirby.

Mt. Abram’s Sam Cockerham (1) tries to break away from Waynflete defenders George Shattuck (8) and Jeff Adey (3) during a Class C South semifinal game Friday night in Salem. Anna Chadwick/Morning Sentinel

Nine minutes later, Mitchell made it 2-0 when he scored on a header off a beautiful corner from Thibodeau.

“It’s been a struggle on corners all year,” Mitchell said. “I always seem to win it but can never seem (to finish). It was awesome to finally get one in the back of the net today.”

“When it comes off my foot, I just have a feeling,” Thibodeau said of the pass. “I just knew that was going to be a good ball. We practice corners a lot. I knew my team would be on the end of it.”


An own goal in the final two minutes of play sealed the victory.

Waynflete was game throughout, matching Mt. Abram step for step in a hard-fought first half. Kirby finished with three saves.

“We knew what we were coming into,” said first-year head coach Will Burdick. “An undefeated team that’s made deep runs in the playoffs before, a really talented team. We knew what we were coming into. (Mt. Abram) has some really talented players; (they’re) strong, physical, they bring the energy… We tried to do everything we could, unfortunately it wasn’t enough.

“It (stinks) to go out that way. I’m proud of the way the guys played, especially in the first half. But you’ve got to give credit to Mt. Abram. They’re really talented and they were the better team tonight.”

Comments are no longer available on this story