SKOWHEGAN — A fire in a detached garage at a Skowhegan home on Wednesday left a resident with minor burns on their hands, the fire chief said.

The person refused treatment and was not taken to the hospital, according to Fire Chief Ronnie Rodriguez.

The fire started around 7 a.m. at the garage located at a residence on Middle Road, numbered as Route 104, and firefighters put it out shortly after arriving on scene, Rodriguez said.

The cause has yet to be determined, though it was likely accidental, Rodriguez said. Damages are estimated at less than $10,000.

The Norridgewock and Fairfield-Benton Fire Departments were also dispatched, according to Rodriguez. “We quickly turned them around,” Rodriguez said.

The homeowner was able to stop the fire from spreading further, though Rodriguez said fire officials generally recommend leaving the fire and waiting for firefighters to arrive for the response.

“The best advice is to get out,” the chief said.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: