Officers stand Wednesday on Sunset Ridge Road in Sidney as a tactical vehicle from the Maine State Police drives through the neighborhood while responding to a domestic incident that led to an eight-hour standoff. Rich Abrahamson/Morning Sentinel

SIDNEY — An Augusta man was arrested Wednesday on Sunset Ridge Road in Sidney following a standoff with police that lasted more than eight hours, officials said.

Marlon Cloutier, 33, was arrested at a relative’s house and taken to the Kennebec County Correctional Facility in Augusta, where he was booked on warrants and charged with creating a police standoff, violating bail conditions, possession of schedule W drugs and refusing to submit to arrest or detention, according to Shannon Moss, spokesperson for the Maine Department of Public Safety. He’s being held on $10,000 bail.

Cloutier was wanted out of Penobscot County for felony-level burglary, theft of firearms, violation of conditional release, violation of a protection order and possession of a firearm, Moss wrote in a statement Wednesday night to the news media.

Marlon Cloutier Photo courtesty of the Kennebec County jail

Moss said the Maine State Police responded at about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday to Sunset Ridge Road after receiving a report that Cloutier was at a relative’s house there.

Initially, Richard Jandreau of the Sidney Fire Department said police responded because threats had been made during a domestic incident.

State troopers who responded to the call confirmed Cloutier was inside the house. Residents of the home left shortly after Cloutier had arrived, Moss said, and neighbors were evacuated from their homes on Sunset Ridge Road, which had been closed to traffic.


Due to the nature of the warrant and recent threats of violence, the State Police Tactical Team and Crisis Negotiation Team responded to the scene shortly after noon.

Cloutier was taken into custody after more than eight hours of negotiations, Moss said.

About two dozen law enforcement vehicles were at the scene, which is off Lyons Road, at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

Sidney town officials had asked drivers to avoid the area during the standoff.

Kennebec Journal staff writer Emily Duggan contributed to this report.

Officers use a tactical vehicle from the Maine State Police while responding Wednesday to a domestic incident that led to an eight-hour standoff on Sunset Ridge Road in Sidney. Rich Abrahamson/Morning Sentinel

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: