SKOWHEGAN — A Norridgewock man is facing criminal charges after he fled an attempted traffic stop in Skowhegan on Tuesday, crashing his motorcycle in a ditch twice before being stopped by police, authorities said.

Nathan Morris, 27, of Norridgewock, was issued a summons for operating under the influence for his role in the brief chase, according to Chief Deputy Mike Mitchell of the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office expects more charges will be filed after reviewing the case with the district attorney’s office, Mitchell said.

Morris was driving a 2008 Harley Davidson motorcycle on West Front Street in Skowhegan and turned right onto Main Street at a high rate of speed, Mitchell said.

Deputy Ronnie Blodgett was stopped at the traffic light at that intersection, which connects several major routes in Skowhegan, and noticed that Morris was rapidly accelerating, Mitchell said. Blodgett then turned to follow Morris onto Main Street and attempted to initiate a traffic stop.

Morris did not stop for Blodgett as he continued on Main Street, which becomes Back Road, and dumped his motorcycle into a ditch near the corner of Bigelow Hill Road, Mitchell said.


“He was going too fast to negotiate the corner,” Mitchell said.

Morris, uninjured, got back on the motorcycle and continued onto Bigelow Hill Road, according to Mitchell. At that point, Blodgett stopped pursuing Morris for a traffic stop, but continued to drive on Bigelow Hill Road to see if Morris would crash again.

About 1.5 miles up the road, Blodgett found that Morris landed in another ditch at a tight corner and issued him the summons, Mitchell said.

Morris is due in Somerset County Unified Criminal Court in Skowhegan on Nov. 9, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

Also responding to the incident were the Skowhegan Police Department, the Skowhegan Fire Department, and emergency medical crews, according to the Somerset County emergency dispatch log.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: