SKOWHEGAN — A detached garage at a Skowhegan home suffered extensive damage from a fire Wednesday, Skowhegan’s fire chief said.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at 25 Beech St. around 4 p.m., according to Chief Ronnie Rodriguez of the Skowhegan Fire Department.

Beech Street is off Madison Avenue, next to the Skowhegan State Fairgrounds.

Crews put out the fire in about 15 minutes and were on scene for just over an hour, Rodriguez said. Madison and Norridgewock fire departments provided mutual aid.

The fire was ruled accidental, caused by improperly discarded smoking materials, according to Rodriguez.

The approximately 20-by-20-foot garage was severely damaged, the chief said.

“It started on the outside and got into the attic space,” Rodriguez said. “It did some damage to the rafters, so more than likely, the garage will have to be replaced.”

No injuries were reported.

The property is owned by B.D.C. Management Corp., according to the most recent town tax records from September 2023.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: