SOMERVILLE — A chimney fire that quickly spread into the attic has left a family homeless for Christmas.

Mike Dostie, fire chief of the Somerville Fire Department, said Jeremy Mcinnis and his family resided in the single-wide mobile home at 70 Hewitt Road.

Dostie said the family was home when the fire started Sunday morning, but no one was injured. He said the call came in at 10 a.m. The fire was knocked down within 35 minutes from firefighters arrival.

“It was a good save,” Dostie said Sunday. “When we got there flames were coming out of the roof. We had a lot of mutual aid show up and were able to save the building. But they’re not going to be able to use it at this time. We had to cut several holes in the roof.”

He said an over-heated chimney attached to a wood stove caused the fire. The family lost a lot of items in the fire, he said.

“The family was home and there were pets but we got everybody out,” he said. “They had a small child who was very sick and they had been up all night. Right now they’re meeting with Red Cross.”

Dostie said Somerville received mutual aid from Jefferson, Whitefield, Windsor and Washington.

“I’d like to thank all the mutual aid that came,” he said. “We couldn’t have done it without them. It was a very good save. Hopefully, people can help out the family for Christmas.”

Mechele Cooper — 621-5663

[email protected]

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.