WATERVILLE — Improper disposal of smoking materials caused a fire that damaged an apartment building at 84 Front St. Monday afternoon, according to fire officials.
“It was an accidental fire,” fire Captain Rodney Alderman said.
The fire started in an enclosed, second-floor sun porch on the south side of the three-story wood-frame apartment building, according to Alderman.
“There was smoke damage to the porch and some smoke damage to the second floor,” he said.
The fire was reported at 2:48 p.m.. About 15 firefighters responded to the scene; two Fairfield firefighters covered the Waterville station, according to Alderman. Firefighters cleared the scene at 4:08 p.m., he said.
“The building manager has called in an electrician due to the fact that they (firefighters) found some wires that were affected by the fire on the second floor porch,” he said. “So, they’re checking just to make sure it’s all set to turn the electricity back on in the second and third-floor apartments.”
Alderman stressed the importance of those reporting fires to give accurate and detailed information to dispatchers. In this case, firefighters were dispatched to what was reported as a fire that occurred on a porch but was out.
“The fire was not out,” he said. “The fire had gone up into the ceiling.”
Waterville police helped at the scene.
Mike Ramharak, who lives on the first floor with his family, was outside on side sidewalk, holding his baby and covering her with a blanket to keep her warm in the frigid air.
Ramharak said a friend came to visit and that’s when he learned there was a fire in his building.
“I got the baby and came outside,” he said.

Amy Calder — 861-9247
[email protected]
 


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.