BINGHAM — A man suffered burns to his legs, arms and face and set his house ablaze after he used gasoline to try to restart a fire in his wood stove Tuesday night, according to police.

An ambulance from Upper Kennebec Valley Ambulance Service took Brad Zinkovitch, 47, from his damaged home at 44 Murray Lane to Redington-Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan.

A woman and two children living at the home were not injured, though four family pets were killed, according to a release from Steve McCausland, a spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Bingham Fire Chief Scott Laweryson said 14 firefighters responded around 8 p.m. to put out the blaze, which caused extensive heat and smoke damage.

Though there was some structural damage to the one story house, the building is still standing. Fire personnel were on scene until about 11 p.m.

Investigators from the Office of the State Fire Marshal said the fire flashed as Zinkovitch poured the gas from a plastic container into the wood stove.

The investigators stressed that gasoline or any flammable liquid should never be used inside a residence.

Redington had no patients by the name of Zinkovitch Tuesday afternoon, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.