WATERVILLE — A woman is in jail after a grand jury indicted her for causing a six-vehicle crash on College Avenue in March that injured six people.

Nancy Hazard made her initial court appearance Friday via video in Augusta District Court on one felony count of aggravated driving to endanger, but didn’t enter a plea. Hazard, 43, of 1 Collins St., Apt. 2, was arrested at her home Thursday afternoon.

In the courtroom Friday, Hazard stood on crutches next to attorney Lisa Whittier at the jail while Hazard’s family watched. Whittier sought a low bail, saying Hazard had no criminal record.

In the courtroom, one woman told the judge that the doctor who operated on Hazard after the crash told them he believed Hazard had a seizure before the crash.

The judge set Hazard’s bail at $500 cash or $500 unsecured with supervision by Maine PreTrial agency.

On March 18, Hazard was driving a 2008 Suzuki SX4 south on College Avenue when she struck four cars waiting at a stoplight. A fifth car was pushed into the intersection.


No one was killed in the crash, but six people were treated for injuries, including Hazard.

On Wednesday, a grand jury heard evidence in the case at Kennebec Superior Court in Augusta. The indictment states Hazard drove with criminal negligence and caused serious bodily injury.

Assistant District Attorney Paul Rucha said on Friday he couldn’t discuss details.

“The bottom line is we presented the evidence to the grand jury, and they determined that the appropriate charge was aggravated driving to endanger,” Rucha said.

In May, the Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office submitted a 34-page crash reconstruction report that concluded Hazard was driving between 60 and 85 mph at the time of impact, Deputy Chief Charles Rumsey said. During the investigation, Hazard told police she has no memory of the crash or events leading up to it. Investigators also ruled out the possibility that Hazard was intoxicated — blood sample taken from Hazard shortly after the crash tested negative for alcohol or illegal drugs, and any prescription medications were at normal levels.

Several eyewitnesses at the scene of the crash told a reporter that Hazard’s actions appeared deliberate.


Shortly after the crash, Hazard was rushed to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor with chest trauma and a back injury. She was released 10 days later, Rumsey said.

Karl Andresen, 69, of Winslow, whose Toyota Tacoma was destroyed in the crash, suffered a cracked cervical vertebra, eight broken ribs, a concussion and a lacerated tongue. Andresen spent two weeks at Eastern Maine Medical Center. He has since returned to work as a Spanish teacher at Winslow High School.

Andresen declined to comment on Hazard’s arrest when reached by phone Friday.

Hazard was arrested without incident, Rumsey said. The class C felony charge carries a maximum prison sentence of five years and fines up to $5,000.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.