GREENBUSH — Authorities say a mother and her 11-year-old son suffered severe burns when an aerosol can exploded in a campfire outside a home in Greenbush.

Sgt. Ken Grimes of the state Fire Marshal’s Office says a man tossed a cardboard box onto the fire without realizing there was an aerosol can inside the box early today.

Grimes says 28-year-old Carrie Twitchell and her son were taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center for treatment of burns to their faces. The Bangor Daily News says Twitchell was later transferred to another facility. The conditions of Twitchell and her son weren’t known.

The homeowner who tossed the cardboard box on the fire, 42-year-old Larry Shirland, suffered minor burns. Grimes says the investigation is continuing.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.