FAYETTE — Lightning sparked a house fire on Young Road Thursday afternoon, causing significant damage to the house but no injuries, Fayette Town Manager Mark Robinson said today.

 Firefighters from several central Maine towns responded to 246 Young Road about 3 p.m.

“It was a pretty nasty storm that went through here,” he said.

Meredith Pepper was home with three children when they heard a snap and saw smoke coming through an electrical outlet, he said. It appears the lightning hit a rafter in the home, which is located in a remote area, he said.

The house, which is owned by Timothy and Meredith Pepper, sustained extensive damage to the roof and rafters and has significant smoke damage, he said.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.