FAIRFIELD — A man who reportedly head-butted two police officers late Sunday when they arrested him for violating conditions of release is scheduled to appear today in Skowhegan District Court.

John Andrew O’Connor, 48, was in handcuffs when he head-butted officers Spencer Grinnell and Paul St. Amand, smashing Grinnell’s glasses, according to Sgt. Matthew Bard.

Bard said Monday that police went to 7 Newhall St. around 10 p.m. Sunday in response to a report of a domestic disturbance and encountered O’Connor, who was intoxicated and confrontational.

O’Connor was out on bail for a domestic-violence-related charge and, as part of his conditions of release, was prohibited from drinking alcohol, Bard said.

As he was being arrested, he assaulted the officers. Grinnell went to Thayer Campus, MaineGeneral Medical Center, in Waterville, to be checked out, and is OK, Bard said. St. Amand was not injured, he said.

State police Sgt. Bernard Brunette assisted police at the scene, he said.

In addition to the charge of violating a condition of release, O’Connor was charged with assault on an officer, assault, refusing to submit to arrest or detention, terrorizing and criminal mischief, according to Bard.

He was taken to Somerset County Jail in Madison, where he remained Monday and is expected to appear by video in Skowhegan District Court sometime today, Bard said.

“He’ll go before a judge on the violation of condition of release charge,” Bard said. “They may take up the other charges at that time or they may not. He may be given bail or they may hold him without bail.”

O’Connor is well-known to police, according to Bard.

“John has a long laundry list of offenses,” he said. “We’ve been dealing with him for years, and Waterville (police) has, Oakland has.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.