A snowmobiler injured Friday night in remote northwest Somerset County was driven seven miles by snowmobile rescue sled before being flown to a Lewiston hospital, according to Bill Jarvis, fire chief of Jackman-Moose River Fire Department.

Jarvis said Saturday that he did not know the injured snowmobiler’s name but the Maine Warden Service was expected to investigate the accident. Two people who said they had been accompanying the snowmobiler told Jarvis the snowmobiler was from Freeport.

A call placed Saturday to the warden service through state police was not returned.

The accident occurred on a trail, seven miles south of Lake Parlin Lodge on U.S. Route 201 in Parlin Pond Township, according to Jarvis.

The lodge is about 13 miles south of the Jackman fire station, he said.

A firefighter and two EMTs went to the lodge with a snowmobile and rescue sled after officials received a report at 6:27 p.m. that a snowmobiler had been injured and possibly had a broken arm and ribs, Jarvis said.

From there, the firefighter and EMTs were escorted the seven miles into what appeared to be Johnson Mountain Township, but the exact location of the crash will ultimately be determined by the Warden Service, Jarvis said.

When the rescuers arrived at the crash site, several people were with the injured man and they had built a fire, he said.

“The rescuers didn’t know exactly what happened at all, so the warden service will be investigating that,” Jarvis said.

The victim was placed on a backboard, loaded onto the rescue sled and taken to the lodge in Parlin Pond Township where Jackman Area Volunteer Ambulance Corps. took him to the airport in Jackman, Jarvis said.

He was then taken by LifeFlight helicopter to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, he said.

Jarvis went to the airport before the helicopter left for Lewiston.

“I know the LifeFlight crew put an IV in and prepared him for flight,” Jarvis said. “He appeared to be in a lot of pain, but there was no way for us to know what the injuries were.”

He said two males who had been at the crash site arrived at the airport.

“They had been with him and they wanted to know if he was OK and where he was going,” Jarvis said. “They said he was from Freeport and they were, too.”

Amy Calder — 861-9247
[email protected]

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.