LEWISTON — Weary firefighters have contained a fast-moving, 20-acre brush fire in Lewiston a day after a blaze destroyed three apartment buildings in the city’s downtown.

The brush fire off College Road was reported Tuesday afternoon.

Crews from Lewiston and surrounding communities helped fight the fire. The Maine Forest Service dropped water from a helicopter.

Officials say the fire may have been sparked by off-road vehicle activity or spontaneous combustion.

The Sun Journal reports it took about four hours to get it under control.

The fire came less than 24 hours after Lewiston firefighters battled a blaze in an abandoned building downtown that spread to two other apartment buildings. No one was hurt in Monday’s fire but 75 people were displaced.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.