MOUNT VERNON — A home off Belgrade Road was badly damaged and a family pet was killed by a fire that swept through the home this afternoon.

Mount Vernon Deputy Fire Chief Tony Dunn said nobody was hurt in the fire, which was reported just before 2:30 p.m., but the homeowner, Derek Roy, and two children will have to find another place to stay until the home is repaired.

A family dog was killed, Dunn said.

Roy, who said the home was insured, said he had a place to stay. He declined additional comment.

The Cape Cod-style home set several hundred feet off the road near box 590 on Belgrade Road. The home is conventional construction with faux log-cabin siding, Dunn said.

“The fire was all in the upstairs,” Dunn said.

He said the first floor — the home has a slab foundation — suffered heat and smoke damage.

Smoke was coming out from under the eaves and out two upstairs windows when the first firefighters arrived.

“By the time we got the hose off the truck it was coming out both gable ends,” Dunn said.

Firefighters from Belgrade, Fayette, Manchester, Readfield, Vienna and Wayne joined Mount Vernon crews in fighting the blaze.

“It was a good turnout,” Dunn said.

The flames were knocked down within 30 minutes, Dunn said.

“The first group knocked it down,” he said. “It was real fast.”

Dunn said Roy and his two children went to a store and the house was on fire when they returned. Roy tried to save his dog but it was already dead.

Dunn said it was not immediately evident what had caused the blaze. Roy had been doing maintenance on the first floor of the home, which appeared to be relatively new. Dunn said that the fire was not suspicious.

Dunn said the fire could have caused much more damage.

“It was a damn good stop,” he said.

Craig Crosby — 621-5642
[email protected]

Facebook comments

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.