WOBURN, Mass. — The son of Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy pleaded not guilty Tuesday in the stabbing death of his girlfriend as his lawyer fought an attempt by prosecutors to release what the defense called an “inflammatory” summary of the evidence against him.

Jared Remy, 35, is charged in the Aug. 15 stabbing death of Jennifer Martel, 27.

Authorities say Remy stabbed Martel at their Waltham apartment and was covered in blood when they arrested him there. A neighbor told police he tried unsuccessfully to pull Remy off Martel during the attack, which came a day after Remy was released from custody after being accused of assaulting Martel.

Remy entered his plea during his arraignment on murder and assault charges in Superior Court. A magistrate ordered him held without bail after his lawyer, Edward Ryan Jr., said he would not seek his release at this point.

Assistant District Attorney Lisa McGovern said prosecutors were prepared to file a “statement of the case” in court Tuesday, which summarizes the state’s case against Remy.

Ryan said he objected to release of the statement, saying in many cases it amounts to a “self-serving recitation of the facts that they allege.”


In Remy’s case, he said, there is no reason for prosecutors to release the statement because Remy is not seeking to be released on bail so prosecutors do not need to spell out their case against him.

“There is no purpose in this case served by filing an inflammatory statement of the case,” Ryan said. He would not discuss the contents of the statement.

Ryan said Judge Kathe Tuttman granted his request to preliminarily bar prosecutors from filing the statement, but she agreed to hear additional arguments from both sides. A hearing was scheduled for Oct. 15.

Ryan declined to comment on what Remy’s defense will be.

In a jailhouse interview with the Boston Herald on Sunday, Remy denied killing Martel and said he still loves her. The couple has a 5-year-old daughter.

After his son’s arrest, Jerry Remy announced that he would not return to the broadcast booth this season. He was not in court Tuesday.


Ryan said Remy’s parents “are very supportive of him” and have “good reasons” for not going to court.

“Their hearts bled for the victim in this case and the child involved,” he said.

Remy is due back in court on Oct. 28 for a pre-trial conference.

He had already pleaded not guilty in District Court. After he was indicted, the case moved to Superior Court, where he entered his plea Tuesday.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.