ANSON— A mobile home was destroyed by a fire that originated in the kitchen Saturday afternoon, according to a local fire official.

The home, which had a small extension built on the back, is at 39 Preble Ave. It belongs to David and Darlene Merrill, said Anson Fire Chief Jeremy Manzer.

He said the fire was reported shortly before 2 p.m. Saturday and that when firefighters arrived on scene, heavy smoke and flames were coming out the doors. Part of the home was still standing after the fire had been extinguished, but Mazer said it is unlivable.

The fire is believed to have been accidental, and the Office of the State Fire Marshal will not be investigating, Manzer said.

No humans or pets were injured, he said. He said he was unsure whether the family had insurance. The family declined to comment.

Firefighters from the Madison Fire Department also responded.

Rachel Ohm— 612-2368[email protected]

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.