SKOWHEGAN — A 19-year-old woman and three other teenagers escaped serious injury Friday morning when a grease fire ignited at a mobile home.

Krista Corson, 19, suffered minor burns to her right arm in the fire at Harvey’s Mobile Home Park on Madison Avenue, Route 150, in Skowhegan. There were no other reports of injuries.

The fire was reported around 10:15 a.m., with fire crews, EMS and police responding.

“We had an oil fire on the stove and we tried to put it out and it kind of flared up,” Corson said. “It was a pot of oil and the inside of it went up in flames. We were cooking French fries.”

Flames ignited a pile of mail and other papers that were kept near the stove, creating a smoky fire that firefighters quickly extinguished. The other teens, ages 18, 17 and 14 were not injured. Corson suffered superficial burns, which were treated at the scene by EMS with a cold pack.

Two pet rats in a glass tank were saved and the Corsons’ house cat slipped under a bed and refused to come out. The cat was not injured.

Corson’s mother was at work when the fire started.

Police, fire and emergency medical personnel initially were concerned that four children were in the mobile home when it caught fire.

“They’re excited when they call dispatch and that transfers the dispatch to us — it came across that there were four people inside,” Skowhegan police Officer Herbert Oliver said at the scene. “When I got here they were all out. Everything’s OK.”

Doug Harlow — 612-2367

[email protected]

Twitter: @Doug_Harlow


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.