CANAAN — No injuries were reported in a fire that seriously damaged a Hill Road house Friday morning.

Firefighters were called to the scene on the corner of Hill and Whitten roads at about 9:30 a.m. Friday for a house fire.

“There was a little bit of smoke coming out from around the air vent and the air conditioning unit,” said Canaan Fire Chief Troy Bowden. “We believe the cause is electrical. We’re uncertain at this time as to what on the electrical end of it, but we’re leaning toward the AC unit.”

A square hole was burned out of the roof directly above the air conditioner, which was fixed to the wall and charred from the fire.

Rachelle Cass, who lives at the home with her husband and their dachshund, Brady, said she had left the house a little before 7 a.m. to bring her daughter to work. Cass’ daughter lives on an adjacent property.

Cass said she couldn’t remember if the air conditioner was turned off, but said she and her husband have been turning it on and off recently to save money.

Cass said they bought the property in December.

Canaan Fire Chief Troy Bowden couldn’t say for certain if the house was destroyed, but there was significant damage to the roof.

“We’re not sure if it’s salvageable or not at this time,” Bowden said. “It’s into 50 percent of the roof and rafters. We saved a lot against smoke damage from shutting doors and windows, closing off portions of the house.”

Crews from Canaan, Clinton and Skowhegan responded to the blaze, which was under control by 10:45 a.m.

Jesse Scardina — 861-9239

[email protected]

Twitter: @jessescardina

=


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.