A garage was destroyed — but firefighters saved an attached house — after a fire broke out Friday afternoon on Wellman Road.

Nobody was hurt in the blaze at 106 Wellman Road. Chelsea Fire Chief Shawn Ramage said after the fire that the family should be able to resume living in the house once an electrician has disconnected the power source to the garage and Central Maine Power Co. reconnects the power to the house.

Ramage didn’t know if the garage is insured.

An investigator from the state fire marshal’s office was called to look into the blaze, but Ramage said the origin was not suspicious. It appears a car being worked on in the garage caught fire.

“We have a good idea what caused it,” Ramage said.

The fire in the two-car garage broke out around 12:30 p.m. Flames were coming out both doors when the first crews arrived on scene, Ramage said. Firefighters from Chelsea as well as VA Maine Healthcare Systems-Togus and Augusta knocked down the fire within 20 minutes.

“It was a quick knockdown,” Ramage said.

Ramage said the 784-square-foot garage was destroyed, but the breezeway and house are salvageable.

Craig Crosby — 621-5642

[email protected]

Twitter: @CraigCrosby4


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.