SIDNEY— A bedroom candle propped up on a jewelry stand is blamed for a fire Wednesday at a home day care business in Sidney, the Sidney fire chief said.

Chief Richard Jandreau said the candle “somehow tipped over,” causing objects in the bedroom to catch fire.

No injuries were reported in the midday fire at Jen’s Day Care on Reynolds Hill Road, but the building was destroyed, he said. The licensed home day care site was also the home of owner Jennifer Brunelle, her husband and three children, Jandreau said. The family is staying in a hotel, the cost of which is covered by the American Red Cross.

The day care center had been open for several years and was in good standing with the Department of Health and Human Services, according to department spokesman John Martins.

“At this particular time, we have no reason to believe there is a need for us to conduct a formal investigation,” Martins said. There are no regulations regarding candles in day care centers, he said.

Four children were at the day care center at the time of the fire. They all got out of the building safely and were picked up by their parents, Jandreau said.

No charges will be filed in the case.

Rachel Ohm — 612-2368

[email protected]

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.