Lincoln County deputies used pepper spray to subdue a man who had fled into the Back River on Westport Island before dragging him to shore and arresting him Sunday.

Daniel Colby, 32, of Wiscasset was brought to Two Bridges Regional Jail on Monday morning after being evaluated at Midcoast Hospital in Brunswick.

Deputies were called to Main Road on Westport Island just after noon for reports of a man jumping into traffic and trying to get into passing cars. Wiscasset police and deputies found Colby in nearby woods but he ran. Police were joined by a Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office police dog team.

Authorities chased him to the shore of the river but he waded in and wouldn’t come out, Lincoln County Sheriff’s Lt. Rand Maker said in a release. Police worried that he might suffer hypothermia and drown.

Using a boat from the Westport Island Fire Department, authorities tried to get the man out of the river but he swam away whenever the boat approached. A strong tidal current made it difficult to maneuver the boat, Maker said.

Deputies finally pepper sprayed Colby to stop him from resisting, Maker said. He still refused to climb into the boat but a deputy grabbed him and he was dragged to shore, handcuffed and taken to an ambulance.

He was evaluated and treated overnight and then charged with resisting arrest or detention, Maker said.

Colby also was charged with outstanding arrest warrants for cultivating marijuana, failure to pay fines and refusing to submit to arrest.

He was held on $5,000 bail at Two Bridges Regional Jail pending a Jan. 28 court date.

Police suspect the man was under the influence of drugs but have no evidence of that, Maker said.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: @Mainehenchman

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.