A Clinton family lost their home but no one was hurt in a fire Friday night at 952 Hinckley Road.

Clinton Fire Chief Gary Petley said homeowners Donald and Clarissa Belanger were home when the fire broke out at 9:55 p.m. Petley said it was caused by an unattended candle in a bathroom that ignited a cloth shower curtain.

The fire blew out a window. Windy conditions caused the fire to spread quickly throughout the single-story home.

The couple were able to get themselves and their two dogs out safely. Their children, ages 19, 17 and 10, were not home at the time of the fire.

Four neighboring fire departments helped Clinton firefighters. The house was destroyed, said Petley.

Beth Quimby can be contacted at 791-6363 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: bquimby

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.