An early morning fire at a multi-family residence in Winslow appears to have been caused by the use of a blowtorch to thaw frozen pipes, according to Fire Chief David LaFountain.

Firefighters responded to a report of the blaze at 28 Bellevue St. at 130 a.m. Thursday. No injuries were reported. LaFountain said it appears insulation was ignited inadvertently when a blowtorch was used Wednesday to thaw frozen pipes. That insulation smoldered for hours before it finally ignited into flame, he said.

Damage was contained to a single exterior wall. LaFountain estimated the cost of fixing the damage at $10,000. Units from Winslow, Waterville and Fairfield went to the scene. Firefighters left the scene nearly two hours later after checking to ensure the fire hadn’t spread to the attic. Residents were home at the time of the incident, including one first-floor resident who uses oxygen breathing treatment.

LaFountain said Winslow police helped move that resident to a waiting ambulance.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.