SKOWHEGAN — The Grand Opening of a new outdoor permanent exhibit at the Skowhegan History House Museum & Research Center is set for 5 p.m. Saturday, June 6, at the museum at 66 Elm St. The “River Bateau” exhibit is located on the Riverside Lawns beside the Kennebec River. It is designed to be an extension of the featured exhibit, “Kennebec River — Skowhegan’s First Highway,” which will continue through the 2015 season.

Dr. David Axelman has designed and constructed a scaled model of a river bateau that was typical of those used by Benedict Arnold’s men when they ventured up the Kennebec to Quebec in 1775 and those that the river-drivers used on the log drives until 1976. The model is perched upon a simulated pulpwood snag amongst rocks reflecting the dangerous work the drivers faced every day, according to a news release from the museum.

An illustrative panel completes the exhibit. Images and stories pertaining to Arnold’s march and the river-drivers along with a map of the Kennebec share the role the bateau has played in the local history on the river.

The exhibit is made possible by the significant donation of time and materials by Dr. Axelman and other private donations, materials from Hammond Lumber Co., support from Plumb Creek and SAPPI, and a grant from the Maine Community Foundation. Lynch Landscaping Co. created the exhibit foundation and surround.

The Grand Opening is free and open to the public; refreshments will be offered.